Assorted Poems

Thursday, April 27, 2006


" Tea with Elinor's Mother "

She has aged hands, veins big and blue,
With palms that yearn to touch and hug, too;
Gnarled fingers, nails neatly filed
She gently strokes an imaginary child.

Who is this wheelchair-bound lady,
Who answers to the name of Sadie?
How can it be - she does not remember me?
"Sadie, let's enjoy a delicious cup of tea".

Lovely smile, moist deep brown eyes
Staring off into the azure blue skies,
Who lives inside you, Sadie, friend of my past?
Do you not know our friendship will always last?

Your daughter has the same moist eyes,
And so often she tries to stifle her cries.
Spending endless hours in your every need
She prays you remember her, your own seed.

In another world? Please come back,
At least for her in her maternal lack.
Sadie, embrace her warmly once more;
Kiss her sweetly, and remember she is Elinor.

You named her after your own mother,
Sadly you can't remember even your brother.
You surely don't remember me
Even though we drank tankards of tea.

I love Elinor as if she were my own precious girl
I'm looking after her, your treasured pearl.
I keep an eye and my heart also on your son
Who brings a sweet humor and tea by the ton.

So we shall go on drinking tea together
On the veranda, dining room, wherever
Enjoying our friendship, sipping our brew
Sadie, you are so special to me, I hope I am to you.

Knowing you has been a pure pleasure;
God has blessed me above all measure.
Our cups surely overflow ~with tea ~
Into our saucers, how GOD-BLESSED are we!


~~~~~~~~~~~
© Mel Patterson 4-27-06

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home